Thursday, May 21, 2009

This is not what I ordered!

Welcome to the first post on my new blog about us! I thought I'd start out by sharing a bit of a background... to catch you up to speed so to speak.

Remember back to grade school? Playing pretend, imagining who you were going to marry and how many kids you would have? I was going to be an astronomer, marry a surgeon and have 2 perfect children. They would be on the honour roll and of course be the most well behaved children you ever met... not to mention popular and athletic!

Fast forward to the present. Married, yes. Surgeon? Unless you're talking about altering and fixing music gear, the answer is no. My Career is a part time job at the bank and my kids, well... don't you just love God's sense of humor? I have 4 wonderful children and I did manage to get the popular and athletic part (I'm allowed to brag), but, although I believe my children to be ultra genius, our current educational system would beg to differ with me. Einstein and Beethoven would have been labeled ADHD as well, but for some reason that doesn't get my kids A's in school! Instead, I find myself constantly meeting with the teachers of my 2 ADHD kids to discuss strategies and behavior. I've got a whole blog planned on that topic!

Just in case having 2 ADHD kids in the house wasn't enough to keep us on our toes, Hubby and I also managed to throw in Epilepsy, Celiac Disease, Asthma and some Anaphylaxis. Think food allergies arn't a big deal... you try planning a week of meals with NO wheat, Gluten, tomatoes, legumes or nuts! Oh, and just for kicks, do it on a very tight budget and limited time. This is where irony kicks in, I don't even like to cook and I've never been good at planning ahead! I'm learning.

Thinking back to the playground, I don't remember putting a major depression or anxiety disorder in my 25 year plan. I certainly didn't plan on marrying a musician or the roller coaster of life being so unpredictable, but somehow I've managed to stumble on happiness anyway. Go figure, mom was right after all.

1 comment: